Embrace the idea of leftovers by taking them as valuable portions of food that can be saved, deliciously altered and reused rather than thrown away or left to deteriorate. If taken seriously, leftovers could safe you unnecessary stress, time and money. Here are some reasons why leftovers should be valued:
- Leftovers allow you to be creative in preparing food without additional cost. You can turn leftover vegetables into delicious sauces or use leftover fruit to garnish sweet dishes or include in cakes. Mixing and matching leftover food can also give you creative combinations you never thought of before.
- Leftovers help you fix some cooking mishaps, such as diluting an over-salted or spiced-up sauce with some of yesterday’s double cream, or thickening a watery soup with leftover bread.
- Leftovers are also a healthy quick fix for kids’ school lunchboxes. Rather than the usual emergency cheese-and-toast sandwich on those busy mornings, leftovers can ensure your kids have a healthier lunch. The same can go for you at work. Without a doubt, eating a leftover dish at work is healthier and cheaper than ordering a SR 30+ delivery salad or sandwich loaded with fatty sauces and salt.
- Whenever you have a special dinner party and end up with too much leftover pastries, desserts, chocolates and juice, do not panic and whine over the costs. Instead, freeze the remaining food or make that long-due invite to your neighbors or friends the following day for tea. This way, you put the leftovers to good use as well as return the invitation with minimum cost and effort since you do not have to prepare for the invitation from scratch.
- Leftovers help you cater for people with different dietary requirements (either due to health reasons or following a new diet trend). It also helps when a family member may be eating at different times due to having conflicting schedules. So even the smallest batch of leftover food is worth saving. In fact, freezing and defrosting food in smaller batches is quicker and easier.
After exploring the importance of valuing leftovers, learn some tips on how to utilize them in cooking up delicious savouries, snacks, and desserts:
- Check these general tips on what you can do with ripening or leftover vegetables, fruits, bread and meat and dairy. [To Web Developer: link to each respective section]
- If you have specific food items in your kitchen that you are looking to use up, check our A-Z tips on items ranging from apples to yoghurt – containing interesting ideas on prolonging the life of these foods and how to utilize them as leftovers. [To Web Developer: insert link to Upload file]
- Take a look at our collection of video recipes under “Leftover Recipes”, showing you a range of delightful dishes which are bound to include something for everyone’s taste.